Agnolotti del Plin – Piedmont’s Famous Pinched Pillows of Pasta
Agnolotti del Plin is a classic Italian pasta dish originating from the Piedmont region of Italy. These pinched pillows of pasta are simple yet packed with flavour. The pasta is made with a simple egg dough with a cheesy and mushroom-filled filling. It is then boiled in salted water and finished with a generous dusting of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. With its rich creaminess and robust flavour, it pairs perfectly with a glass of Barbera d’Alba. Agnolotti del Plin – a classic Italian pasta dish that is sure to satisfy!
Agnolotti del Plin – Piedmont’s Famous Pinched Pillows of Pasta!
2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3-5 tablespoons warm water
1/3 teaspoon salt
75 grams Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups button mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
Salt to taste
1. Begin by making the dough for the agnolotti del plin. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and eggs. Mix the dry ingredients. Gradually, add warm water at a time to the dry ingredients. Use a fork or use your hands to mix the ingredients together into a soft dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it to rest for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add minced garlic and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are soft – about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from heat and place the mushroom mixture onto a plate. When the mushroom mixture has cooled, mix in the ricotta cheese, Italian seasoning and oregano.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough with a rolling pin until it is very thin. Do not over work the dough. Cut 2” circles from the dough. Place 1 teaspoon of the filling in the center of the dough circle. Fold the dough over the filling and use your fingers of a fork to pinch and seal the edges together.
4. Place a large pot of salted water on the stove on medium-high heat. Bring the water to a rolling boil and add the agnolotti del plin. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until the pasta is tender.
5. Drain the pasta and toss with finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serve hot!
Wine Pairing: Try a bottle of Barbera d’Alba on the side – the high acidity balances out the rich creaminess of the dish perfectly!
Overview of Agnolotti del Plin
Agnolotti del Plin is a type of stuffed pasta traditional to Piedmont and the neighboring regions in Italy. It is a pinched pillow shape, typically filled with ricotta cheese and minced meats like veal, beef, or pork. Fresh versions are typically served with butter and sage, while dry versions are often served with tomato sauce. Agnolotti del Plin is an iconic dish for Piedmont and is often served in family gatherings, religious holidays and other special occasions.
History and Origin
Agnolotti del Plin is believed to have originated during the 16th century in Piedmont, Italy. It is thought to be derived from a Roman dish known as ‘panzarotti’ that were filled with cheese and herbs. Agnolotti del Plin has since evolved over the centuries and is now a regional specialty in Piedmont. There are various theories as to the origin of the name Agnolotti del Plin, with some believing it originates from the Italian word ‘plincare’ which means to ‘pinched’ or ‘clamp’. This is likely referring to the unique pinched shape of the pasta.
Popularity of the Dish
Agnolotti del Plin is one of the signature dishes in Piedmont and is very popular throughout Italy. It is commonly served as the main course in a traditional meal and is an iconic dish for many Piedmontese families. Agnolotti del Plin is also popular around the world, with many international restaurants serving their own versions of the dish. The pasta is often served as a starter course or as a side dish with other types of pasta. It is also often served as a main course for lunch or dinner.
Agnolotti del Plin is traditionally stuffed with ricotta cheese and minced meats like veal, beef, or pork. However, this filling can be substituted with other ingredients like mushrooms or spinach. Vegetarian versions of the pasta can also be made with a variety of plant-based ingredients such as tofu, nuts, and beans. Many chefs have also experimented with different types of fillings, such as seafood, squash, and cheeses like Gruyere or Gorgonzola.
Agnolotti del Plin is believed to be one of the oldest types of pasta in the world, with a history that dates back to the 16th century. It is also said to be the inspiration for the popular Italian dish ravioli, which is believed to have been derived from an earlier version of the Agnolotti del Plin. Additionally, Agnolotti del Plin is the perfect choice for special occasions or family meals as the pinching technique used in making the pasta is thought to represent a sign of love and appreciation to guests.
Agnolotti del Plin is an iconic pasta dish in Piedmont and the neighboring regions in Italy, and is believed to have been around since the 16th century. It has evolved over the centuries and is now a traditional dish that is served as the main course in a meal and at family gatherings, religious holidays and other special occasions. The pasta can be filled with a variety of ingredients, such as cheese, meats and vegetables, and vegetarian versions can also be made with plant-based ingredients like tofu, nuts and beans. Agnolotti del Plin is also said to be the inspiration for the popular ravioli dish.