This gooey cheese and crispy sandwich creation is sure to be a hit! This traditional French Croque monsieur dish is full of flavor – a combination of melted cheese with the flavor of garlic and mustard, all held between two thin slices of buttery and crispy toasted white bread. Enjoy this comforting delight today!
Gooey Cheese and Crispiness All in One Croque Monsieur!:
– 2 tablespoons of butter
– 8 thin slices of white bread
– 4 thin slices of ham
– 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
– 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
– 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
– 1 ½ cups of whole milk
– 6 ounces of shredded Gruyere cheese
– 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
– 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Then, add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
3. Add the flour to the skillet and whisk until combined with the butter and garlic.
4. Then, while whisking, slowly add the milk to the flour mixture and continue whisking until the mixture thickens.
5. Add in the Gruyere cheese, mustard, parsley and chives, stirring until the cheese is melted and the ingredients are evenly distributed.
6. Butter one side of each slice of bread and place 4 pieces, butter side down, on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
7. Place a slice of ham on each piece of toast.
8. Divide the cheese mixture over the ham slices, spreading evenly and top with the other slices of toast, butter side up.
9. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
10. Sprinkle the parsley, chives and some pepper to taste on the croque monsieur.
11. Serve heated and with a side of baked potatoes for a complete meal.
Enjoy this classic French bistro dish with a French Bordeaux or Burgundy wine, or a crisp lager beer.
What Is a Croque Monsieur?
A Croque Monsieur is a traditional French dish that consists of two thin slices of buttered and toasted white bread which are filled with melted cheese, mustard, and garlic. The classic sandwich is then usually covered with a layer of Mornay sauce and cheese before being heated in the oven. This classic French dish is a unique combination of gooey cheese, garlic and mustard flavors, and a nice crispy texture.
Why Do People Love Croque Monsieur?
Croque Monsieur is a classic French dish loved by many for its unique combination of flavors and textures. The toasted white bread pairs perfectly with the melted cheese, giving the sandwich a nice crunch. The hint of garlic, mustard and Mornay sauce acts as a perfect seasoning for the dish, adding the perfect amount of flavor to give the sandwich the perfect balance of flavor.
How to Make a Gluten-Free Version of Croque Monsieur
For those avoiding gluten, there are a few simple substitutions that can be made to prepare this classic French recipe as a gluten-free dish. First, gluten-free bread is used instead of regular white bread. Alternatively, a corn meal-based flatbread can also be used instead. In addition, some vegan cheese alternative, such as rice or soy cheese, could be used in place of regular cheese.
How to Make a Vegan Version of Croque Monsieur
Making a vegan version of this classic sandwich is also possible. To make it vegan, plant-based protein, such as seitan, is used in place of the traditional cheese. The sandwich is then held together by a combination of vegan mayonnaise and vegan butter. To make the Mornay sauce, vegan cream cheese is used instead of regular cream cheese.
Croque Monsieur is a classic French sandwich that is loved for its unique combination of gooey cheese, Garlic, mustard, and a crispy toasted bread. It is possible to modify the recipe to be gluten-free, or vegan with a few simple substitutions. With its delicious mix of flavors and textures, it’s no surprise why this classic French sandwich is so popular.
If you like this sandwich recipe, check out this Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich or this delicious Grilled Southern-Style South Carolina BBQ Sandwiches. You can also check out the full Sandwich Archive!