This Grilled Bacon & Caramelized Onion Meatloaf Sandwich is the perfect combination of warm, toasty, and crunchy. The homemade meatloaf pairs perfectly with the caramelized onions and Cheddar cheese, all sandwiched between two crunchy pieces of sourdough. A cold pale ale is the perfect accompaniment to this delicious sandwich. Enjoy the flavor and warmth of this wonderful Grilled Bacon & Caramelized Onion Meatloaf Sandwich!
Grilled Bacon & Caramelized Onion Meatloaf Sandwich!
– For Meatloaf
– 1 lb ground beef
– 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
– 1/3 cup oat flakes
– 2 strips bacon, cooked and sun-dried
– 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
– 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
– 1 egg
– 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
– Salt and pepper, to season
– For Sandwich
– 2 slices sourdough bread
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 2 slices Cheddar cheese
– 6 to 8 ounces caramelized onions
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ground beef, panko breadcrumbs, oat flakes, bacon, garlic, onion, egg, Worcestershire sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
3. Form the mixture into a loaf shape, slightly larger than the width of the sourdough slices, and transfer it onto a baking sheet.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
5. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the two slices of sourdough bread and fry until golden brown.
6. Place the caramelized onions and slices of Cheddar cheese on one slice of the sourdough, and then top it with the cooked meatloaf.
7. Place the other piece of sourdough onto the sandwich, then press it down lightly with a spatula.
8. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
9. Slice the sandwich into halves and serve.
Pair with a cold pale ale for a delightful meal.
An Irresistible Combination
The Grilled Bacon & Caramelized Onion Meatloaf Sandwich is the answer to anyone looking for a unique, delicious meal. This sandwich is not just any ordinary sandwich though, as it takes an upscale twist on the classic combination of toasty and crunchy. The homemade meatloaf is combined with caramelized onions and Cheddar cheese, all sandwiched between two crunchy pieces of freshly-baked sourdough. A glass of cold pale ale is the perfect accompaniment to this delectable sandwich, making it an ideal lunch or dinner meal.
Understanding the Appeal of the Sandwich
It’s easy to see why people love this Grilled Bacon & Caramelized Onion Meatloaf Sandwich so much. The blend of the warm, toasty bread with the flavorful, savory meat creates a unique combination of flavors. With an impeccable balance of texture, the slight crunch from the bacon and the caramelized onions has everyone reaching for another bite. Add in the sharpness of the Cheddar cheese, and you have a sandwich that will hit all the spot.
Making this Sandwich Gluten-Free
For people conscious about their gluten intake, it’s easy to make this sandwich gluten-free. The most important step is to use gluten-free bread, as this is often the main source of gluten in sandwiches. Additionally, you can use gluten-free seasonings and other ingredients to ensure that your sandwich remains entirely gluten-free. To make sure everything is gluten-free, double-check your ingredients list to make sure that all ingredients are certified gluten-free.
Making this Sandwich Vegan
This meatloaf sandwich can also easily be veganized by simply replacing the meatloaf with a vegan-friendly alternative. There are many highly rated vegan meatloaf recipes that are not only full of flavor, but are nutritious as well. Additionally, you can use vegan cheese, vegan seasonings and other vegan-friendly ingredients to make the sandwich vegan-friendly. With the right combinations, your vegan sandwich is sure to be a hit.
Overall, the Grilled Bacon & Caramelized Onion Meatloaf Sandwich’s combination of texture and flavor makes it appealing to a variety of palettes. With only a few simple adjustments, it can be easily made gluten-free or vegan-friendly without sacrificing taste. Pair this sandwich with a cold pale ale and it is sure to make an impact.
If you like this sandwich recipe, check out this Tuscan Pecorino Meatball Sandwich with Ciabatta or this delicious Fried Monte Cristo Sandwich with Apple Jam. You can also check out the full Sandwich Archive!