Grilled Asiago, Flank Steak, and Portabello Ciabatta Sandwich
This Grilled Asiago, Flank Steak, and Portabello Ciabatta Sandwich is an easy-to-make, delicious sandwich bursting with flavor! A classic pressing of ciabatta topped with juicy flank steak, savory asiago cheese, tender portabello mushrooms, red onion, and spinach makes for a mouth-watering meal. Enjoy the sandwich with a fresh, crisp lager or a light pilsner for an extra pop of flavor!
Grilled Asiago, Flank Steak, and Portabello Ciabatta Sandwich!
– 1 ciabatta roll
– 4 ounces grilled flank steak
– 2 slices thin-sliced asiago
– 2 ounces grilled portabello mushrooms
– 2 teaspoons olive oil
– 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
– 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
– 2 thin slices red onion
– ¼ cup baby spinach
1. Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
2. Brush both sides of the flank steak with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. Grill the steak for 3 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches at least 145°F.
4. While the steak is cooking, lightly brush the portabello mushrooms on both sides with olive oil and place them on the grill.
5. Grill the mushrooms for 2 minutes each side or until softened.
6. Cut the ciabatta roll in half and place it on the grill until lightly toasted.
7. Spread the mayonnaise and mustard onto the cut side of each ciabatta half.
8. Place the asiago slices, grilled steak, portabellos, and red onion on one ciabatta half.
9. Place the spinach on the other ciabatta half.
10. Place the sandwich halves together and press lightly.
11. Slice into the sandwich in half before serving.
Calories: 350, Fat: 13g, Protein: 28g, Carbohydrates: 28g
Beer Pairing: Try with a crisp lager or a light pilsner for an extra pop of flavor.
The Grilled Asiago, Flank Steak and Portabello Ciabatta sandwich is a relatively new invention. It was created in 2011 by Celebrity Chef Bobby Flay. The sandwich was originally served with a mixture of asardo cheese, grilled portabello mushrooms and grilled flank steak. The ingredients were nestled on a ciabatta roll, which promised to be a flavorful, tasty experience for all takers. Since its creation, the grilled asiago, flank steak, and portabello ciabatta sandwich has become one of the most popular sandwiches in the world.
Where is it Popular?
The sandwich is particularly popular in the United States. It has been featured on the menus of some of the biggest restaurant chains in the country, including TGI Friday’s, Applebee’s and Panera. It can also be found in many gourmet and upscale restaurants across the country. Outside of the United States, the sandwich has become a favorite in countries like Mexico, Canada, Germany and France.
Ingredients that Can be Substituted
The recipe for Grilled Asiago, Flank Steak and Portabello Ciabatta sandwich can easily be adapted to fit different dietary restrictions. For example, vegans can substitute the flank steak with grilled portabello mushrooms. Those watching their calories can opt for a whole wheat ciabatta bun instead of a white bun. The cheese can also be substituted with non-dairy cheese substitutes such as vegan mozzarella.
The Asiago cheese is actually a type of Italian cheese that is typically used in a variety of dishes, from sauces to appetizers and pizza. It is also sometimes grated over salads and pastas for extra flavor. The portobello mushrooms also provide a unique flavor to the sandwich due to its thick, earthy texture. The flank steak is an often underutilized cut of beef that provides a great texture and flavor to the sandwich.
The Grilled Asiago, Flank Steak, and Portabello Ciabatta sandwich is a unique and flavorful combination of ingredients that can be enjoyed by almost anyone. It is popular all over the world and with just a few substitutions, can be enjoyed by those following nearly any type of diet. Its creator, Bobby Flay, has done a great job in creating a sandwich that is as delicious as it is healthy.