Delicious Christmas Struffoli Recipe
These delicious Christmas Struffoli are the perfect combination of sweet and crunchy! With a base of all-purpose flour, eggs, honey, and oil, these Struffoli become a unique Italian treat unlike any other. Fry them in hot oil until golden brown and crispy and then adorn with festive holiday sprinkles, jimmies and chocolate chips. Serve these warm for the ultimate snack for Christmas time. The perfect pairing for these sweet goodies would be a glass of dry white Muscato. Enjoy!
Delicious Christmas Struffoli Recipe!
– 4 cups of all-purpose flour
– 2 tablespoons baking powder
– 4 eggs
– 2 tablespoons honey
– 1 tablespoon salt
– ½ cup of white sugar
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 cup of vegetable oil
– Vegetable oil for deep frying
– Colorful Christmas decorations (sprinkles, jimmies, chocolate chips, honey, etc.)
1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, vanilla extract and oil.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, stirring until everything is well mixed.
4. On a floured surface, roll the dough out until it is about a ½ cm thick.
5. Cut the dough into small strips about 5 cm in length and shape them into circles.
6. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep fryer or a deep pan to 350°F.
7. Place the strips in the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy.
8. Place the fried Struffoli onto paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
9. Place the cooked Struffoli in a large bowl and drizzle with honey.
10. Decorate with colorful Christmas decorations, such as sprinkles, jimmies, chocolate chips, etc.
11. Serve warm and enjoy!
Wine: For a perfect pairing, serve this recipe with a glass of dry white Muscato.
Delicious Christmas Stuffoli Recipe
What is Struffoli?
Struffoli is an Italian dessert perfect for Christmas time! Originating in Naples, Struffoli are small, fried balls of dough that are covered in honey and topped with festive holiday sprinkles and jimmies. They are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, making for a delectable sweet treat! Much like donuts, Struffoli are a fried pastry, only with these delicious goodies, there is an addition of extra honey and special holiday toppings that make them unique and special for the holiday season.
Ingredients and Preparation
Struffoli are made with all-purpose flour, eggs, honey, and oil, then fried in hot oil until they are golden brown and crispy. Once they cool, they may be decorated with jimmies, sprinkles, or even chocolate chips.
Popularity and Variations
Struffoli’s popularity can be found in local bakeries and specialty stores at Christmas time! Traditional cake recipes are often taken and transformed into this Italian dessert – making it popular in various Italian emigrant communities such as Italian-American families in the United States. For those who have dietary restrictions, this recipe can be easily adjusted in order to go gluten-free – just subbing out the all-purpose flour for gluten-free flour!.
One interesting thing about Struffoli is that traditionally, the recipe includes adding a whole lemon – skin and all – which is boiled in syrup and then chopped adding a unique citrus flavor. Depending on the region, the chopped lemon can be optional with some variations. In some places in Italy, Struffoli are made with lemon pieces as well as with seasonal fruits like oranges, clementines and even attractive drizzles of colored syrup.
For the perfect Christmas indulgence, serve warm Struffoli with a glass of dry white Muscato. Christmas Struffoli make for a perfectly sweet and crunchy snack that is sure to please those celebrating the season.