Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni
Nice and cheesy Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni is the perfect comfort dish. This casserole has layers of cannelloni shells filled with ricotta cheese, spinach and mozzarella, baked with a layer of marinara sauce, and topped with parmesan cheese. This makes for a delicious and hearty meal that’s sure to please a crowd. A great choice to accompany it is a Pinot Noir, to round out the pasta dish’s flavor profile. Enjoy the creamy, cheesy deliciousness of this Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni with a glass of Pinot Noir.
Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni!
– 12 no-boil cannelloni shells
– 2 cups ricotta cheese
– 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
– 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tablespoons Italian seasonings
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 1/2 cup marinara sauce
-1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, spinach, garlic, Italian seasonings, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
3. Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce onto the bottom of a greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
4. Fill each cannelloni shell with the cheese and spinach mixture and place into the baking dish.
5. Pour the remaining marinara sauce over the top of the cannelloni shells.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
7. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top of the baked cannelloni and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
8. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition: Servings 8
Fat: 15 g
Carbohydrates: 25 g
Protein: 20 g
Wine Pairing: Pinot Noir
Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni
History of Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni
Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni has been around since the mid-1800s, when Italian chefs first thought of the idea. Cannelloni is a type of pasta tube, usually filled or layered with a variety of ingredients. Italy is the birthplace of Cannelloni and is one of the most popular dishes served in Italian restaurants today. Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni is a combination of spinach and ricotta cheese, which is a perfect combination of creamy and delicious flavors. Italian cooks typically prepare this pasta dish by mixing the spinach and ricotta cheese in a bowl, then stuffing the mixture into cannelloni tubes. The pasta can then be baked in a cheese sauce or served in a richly flavored tomato sauce. It is often served as an appetizer or as the main course in a full meal.
Where is Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni Popular?
Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni is most popular in Italy, where it has been served in Italian homes, restaurants and trattorias since its invention. It is also popular in many countries around the world, including the United States and the United Kingdom, where it is served in Italian restaurants and specialty food shops. In some countries, it is served as a vegan or vegetarian dish by swapping out the ricotta cheese for a vegan cheese alternative.
Ingredients that Can Be Substituted
Different ingredients can be substituted to make different varieties of Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni. The traditional ingredients for the dish include spinach, ricotta cheese, cream, garlic, salt and pepper, but these can be swapped out for other flavors such as pesto, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes or vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower. Some people also like to add Italian sausage to the dish for an added flavor.
Spinach Ricotta Cannelloni has become a favorite dish around the world. It is very versatile and can be enjoyed for any meal, from breakfast to dinner. Many professional chefs also use this dish as a base for more creative dishes, such as Spinach Lasagna or Spinach Gnocchi. Also, cannelloni tubes are typically prepared by cutting off the edges of lasagna noodles and then rolling them up into tubes or cylinders.