Rich, creamy ricotta gnocchi with a vibrant tomato sauce and fragrant basil make this a delicious Italian-inspired dish. This meal is made with simplicity, yet is extremely flavorful. The ricotta gnocchi is cooked in boiling water and then combined with the tomato sauce, which is then made even more aromatic with a handful of fresh basil leaves. This classic Italian-inspired dish is comforting and satisfying, sure to make any dinner special. Enjoy it with a crisp Italian white wine for the perfect pairing!
Creamy Ricotta Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce & Basil!
• ¼ cup ricotta cheese
• 2 tablespoons flour
• 1 egg
• ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
• 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
• Fresh basil (to taste)
1. In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, flour, egg, and salt, stirring until evenly mixed.
2. Dust a cutting board with a bit of flour. Transfer the ricotta dough onto the cutting board, and knead for 1-2 minutes.
3. Separate the dough into 6 to 8 quarter-sized pieces, then roll them into small balls.
4. Heat a pot of salted water over medium heat. Once boiling, add gnocchi and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Drain the gnocchi, and instantly transfer to a saucepan containing tomato sauce.
6. Turn heat to low, stirring in a few basil leaves. Serve gnocchi with tomato sauce and basil.
Pairing: Pair this creamy ricotta gnocchi with a crisp Italian white wine.
Creamy Ricotta Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce & Basil
This delicious Italian-inspired dish is made with simplicity yet is packed with tons of flavor. Rich, creamy ricotta gnocchi is cooked in boiling water and then combined with a vibrant tomato sauce, made even more aromatic with fresh basil leaves. This classic Italian-inspired dish is sure to make any dinner special. Enjoy it with a crisp Italian white wine for the perfect pairing!
Why People Love It
This dish is loved for its simple-yet-satisfying flavors. The combination of ricotta gnocchi, tomato sauce, and basil makes for a classic Italian meal, yet it is comforting and approachable. The ricotta gnocchi provides a creamy and indulgent base, while the tomato sauce is vibrant and zesty. Finally, the fresh basil and a splash of Italian white wine make this dish truly special.
Making It Gluten-Free
The dish can easily be adjusted to make it gluten-free. Instead of regular ricotta gnocchi, use organic, gluten-free ricotta gnocchi, which can be found at most health food stores. In addition, make sure to check that the tomato sauce has no added gluten and that the basil is grown organically with no cross-contact with gluten.
Making it Vegan
The ricotta gnocchi in this dish can be switched out for vegan ricotta gnocchi (which can be found at some health food stores or made from scratch with vegan ingredients). Additionally, check that the tomato sauce is vegan, and use vegan parmesan cheese to top the finished dish. Garnish with fresh basil, and you’ve got a vegan version of this Italian-inspired classic.