Pasta alla Gricia Recipe
This meal of pasta alla gricia has a classic and comforting flavor. The subtle spiciness of the pancetta is perfectly balanced with the sharp, salty flavors of the two types of cheese. Each bite creates a unique blend of savory, cheese-covered pasta, perfect for nights when you want dinner in a hurry. With the added dinner drink of Syrah, it’s an excellent dinner choice to gather around and share with friends and family.
Pasta alla Gricia Recipe!
• 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
• 4 ounces of guanciale (or pancetta), diced
• 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
• 2 tablespoons of freshly grated cheese
• 1/2 pound of paccheri pasta
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add the guanciale and sea salt and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until golden.
4. Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese, stirring to combine with the garlic and pepper.
5. Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
6. When cooked, drain the pasta and add to the skillet with the guanciale and cheese mix, adding a ladle of the pasta cooking water.
7. Increase the heat to medium and stir, cooking for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce is creamy, adding more of the pasta cooking water if needed.
8. Plate the pasta alla gricia and serve.
Wine: Pinot Grigio
Pasta alla Gricia Recipe
Pasta alla Gricia is a quick and simple Italian pasta dish made with guanciale (cured pork cheek or jowl), pecorino cheese, and black pepper. The dish is a classic of Roman cuisine, and seems to date back to the early-19th century. It is very popular in Central Italy, and is often seen on menus in Italian restaurants around the world.
Adjustments to Make Pasta alla Gricia Gluten Free
For those looking to make the Pasta alla Gricia recipe gluten-free, the simple adjustment is to use a gluten-free pasta. To make the dish even more gluten-free friendly, exclude the pancetta and use a pork substitute like bacon as it typically contains wheat flour. Additionally, pecorino cheese is often made with wheat flour so opt for a cheese substitute such as grana padano.
Adjustments to Make Pasta alla Gricia Vegan
For those looking to make the Pasta alla Gricia vegan, the simple adjustment is to use a vegan pasta. To make the dish even more vegan-friendly, exclude the pork substitute and use a vegan substitute like tempeh. Additionally, pecorino cheese is not vegan so opt for a vegan cheese alternative like vegan parmesan cheese.
Pasta alla Gricia is a delicious and simple pasta recipe perfect for any occasion. By making small adjustments to the recipe, it is easy to make the recipe either gluten-free or vegan. For more information on Pasta alla Gricia check out Wikipedia’s Gricia (Pasta Dish) or Guanciale.