Potato Leek Soup
Potato Leek Soup Recipe
– 3 large leeks (white and light green parts only), cleaned and sliced
– 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 onion, diced
– 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Optional: 1/2 cup heavy cream or 2 tablespoons butter for richness
– Garnish: thinly sliced green onions or chives
– Garnish: homemade root vegetable chip (potato, sweet potato, parsnip)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
2. Add the leeks, garlic, and onion to the pot. Cook until the vegetables have softened and the onions are translucent, about 7-10 minutes.
3. Add the diced potatoes to the pot and continue to cook for a few more minutes.
4. Pour in the stock. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, around 20-25 minutes.
5. While the soup is simmering, prepare your root vegetable chip. Slice your chosen root vegetable thinly, season with salt, and bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) until crispy, flipping halfway through.
7. If you’re adding cream or butter, stir it in now and let it cook for a few more minutes.
8. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with green onions or chives and your homemade root vegetable chip.
10. Serve hot and enjoy!
This recipe makes 4 servings. The rich, creamy texture of the potato and the subtle sweetness of the leek make this a comforting dish for any season. The garnishes add both a contrasting crunchy texture and a pop of colour, ensuring this soup is as
visually pleasing as it is delicious.
“Indulge in rustic elegance with this Potato and Leek Soup, combining humble roots of the earth with the sophistication of simple gourmet. This dish marries slivers of fragrant leek and hearty russet potatoes, while a base of either vegetable or chicken stock adds a warming depth of flavor. Every spoonful envelops your senses with the intoxicating blend of garlic, onion, and buttery olive oil; ingredients that sauté together, laying the foundation of this classic comfort dish.
The soup simmers patiently until it reaches a point of velvety perfection, at which it is optionally enriched with heavy cream or butter, further accentuating its remarkably smooth texture. A lick of salt and pepper works to harmonize this beautiful medley of flavors. Yet, the true pièce de résistance is the garnish; delicate slivers of green onions or chives, and homemade root vegetable chips add an irresistible crunch and a vibrant splash of color.
Served hot, this Potato and Leek Soup is more than just a dish; it’s an experience, an ode to the beauty of comfort and simplicity, heightened by a touch of culinary finesse. Not only does the recipe make for a satisfying meal for four, but it also promises a feast for the eyes, making it a surefire hit regardless of the season.”