Ricotta and Butternut Squash Ravioli in browned butter sauce
**Ricotta and Butternut Squash Ravioli with Browned Butter Sauce**
For the Pasta:
– 2 cups of ’00’ flour
– 2 large eggs
For the Filling:
– 1 medium-sized butternut squash
– 1 cup ricotta cheese
– Salt and black pepper to taste
– 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
For the Browned Butter Sauce and Garnish:
– 1 stick butter
– Sage leaves
– Shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
– Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and cut your butternut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and place face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the squash is soft.
2. While your squash is roasting, you can start on your pasta dough. Mound the flour on a clean work surface and make a well in the center. Crack the eggs into the well and gradually mix the eggs with the flour using your fingers until a dough forms. It should be firm and not sticky, add more flour if necessary.
3. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes and then wrap it in plastic wrap and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
4. Once your squash is finished roasting and cooled off enough to handle, scoop the flesh out of the skin and into a bowl. Add the ricotta, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir until well combined.
7. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the ravioli for about 4-5 minutes or until they float to the surface.
8. While the ravioli is cooking, melt a stick of butter in a pan over medium heat and add some fresh sage leaves. Stir until the butter is nicely browned.
9. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked ravioli to the pan with the browned butter. Sauté the ravioli for a minute or two in the butter.
10. To serve, plate the ravioli and spoon some of the browned butter over the top. Garnish with some shaved Parmigiano Reggiano. Enjoy!
In the elegant culinary world, the Ricotta and Butternut Squash Ravioli offers an extraordinary fusion of flavors and textures which could star as the centerpiece of any gourmet meal. Nestled in the heart of this plush parcel of pasta is a filling crowned by the roasted butternut squash, complementing beautifully with the creamy ricotta cheese. The delicate hint of ground nutmeg deftly underscores the main ingredients and adds a touch of earthiness to this exquisite palate.
This dish involves crafting fresh pasta dough using the silky ’00’ flour, eggs and a pinch of salt which is then expertly kneaded into a smooth consistency. This is gently folded over generous dollops of the rich ricotta and butternut squash filling, enhanced by the harmony of salt, pepper and nutmeg. The pasta envelopes are meticulously sealed and sliced before they make their swift journey into a hot bath of salted water.
The crowning glory of this haute cuisine stands in the form of a luscious browned butter sauce, a culinary gem that adds a roasted, nutty depth to the ravioli. It showcases a medley of fresh sage leaves dancing in the bubbling butter until it dons that sensational brown hue. The cooked ravioli are then treated to a quick sauté in this enticing butter to absorb the richness.
The presentation of the dish leaves no room for subtlety – the ravioli are adorned with the treasured browned butter, acting much like a golden liquid accessory. As the final touch, the dish is decorated with shavings of the king of Italian cheeses, Parmigiano Reggiano, adding a lavish finish to an indulgent meal. A feast for the eyes and the palate, the Ricotta and Butternut Squash Ravioli with Browned Butter Sauce is a gastronomical journey not to be ignored.