Francesinha Portuguese Sandwich
This Francesinha Portuguese Sandwich is a delicate balance of a toasted golden light wheat bread, with layers of melted cheese, crumbly sausage, juicy ham, zesty tomato sauce and a hint of cilantro. Deliciously salty and savory, this simple but hearty sandwich is guaranteed to make you crave for more!
Francesinha Portuguese Sandwich!
• 2 slices of light wheat bread
• 2 slices of ham
• 2 slices of sausage
• 2 slices of cheese
• ¼ cup of tomato sauce
• 1 teaspoon of butter
• 1 teaspoon of olive oil
• 1 tablespoon of cilantro, chopped
1. Preheat a non-stick pan on medium heat adding the butter and olive oil.
2. Place the ham and sausage separately in the pan, and allow it to cook for about 4 minutes until each side is golden brown.
3. Take the ham and sausage out of the pan and place each slice onto a piece of light wheat bread.
4. Place the two pieces of light wheat bread onto the pan, and let it cook for about two minutes until the bread is toasty.
5. Add the tomato sauce, cilantro and one slice of cheese on top of each piece of toast. Add the remaining slice of cheese on top of the tomato sauce and cilantro.
6. Cook the sandwiches for about 2 minutes, then serve hot.
Nutrition (per sandwich): Calories 399, Total fat 24.6g, Sodium 880.8mg, Total carbohydrates 24.2g, Protein 16.6g
Beer Pairing: A light beer such as Super Bock will pair perfectly with this sandwich as it will cut through the full-flavored ingredients.
History of Francesinha Portuguese Sandwich
Francesinha Portuguese Sandwich is a popular Portuguese-style sandwich hailing from the city of Porto. It is a global phenomenon that has skyrocketed in popularity due to its unique combination of ingredients. The word ‘francesinha’ literally translates to ‘little French girl’ in Portuguese and it is said to have been invented by a returning French expatriate. The story goes that after a brief stint in France, the man created a snack that resembled the croque-monsieur sandwich, which he recreated with Portuguese ingredients and flavors.
Where Is It Popular?
Francesinha sandwich is a two-to-three-layered sandwich stuffed with various meats such as ham, linguica, fresh sausage, steak, and pork. The stuffed sandwich is usually covered in melted cheese and drenched in a signature beer and tomato sauce. The sandwich is then served with sides such as chips or a French fry-style potato wedges. It is popular throughout Portugal, particularly in the city of Porto, where you can find countless varieties of the dish in local cafes and restaurants.
The francesinha sandwich is particularly unique in that its components vary even from one cafe to the next. Each restaurant has its own special twist on this delectable sandwich, allowing for a wide range of flavors and combinations. It has become hugely popular not only in Portugal but around the world, so much so that there have even been cook-offs and tournaments dedicated to the sandwich in various countries.
Francesinha Portuguese Sandwich is a tantalizingly delicious and unique snack that has become a sensation around the world. It is especially popular in Portugal, and particularly the city of Porto, where you can find countless variations and innovations of the beloved sandwich. The francesinha is a wonderful representation of the diverse and flavorful culture of Portugal, and is definitely worth a try if you ever find yourself in the nation.