Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake
This Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake is a sweet and tart twist to the classic mousse cake. Its beautiful pink color makes it the perfect dessert for special occasions. The key to this delectable dessert is the perfect combination of acidic lime juice and the sweetness of the strawberries. The cake is light, creamy and very moist, with just the right amount of acidity. Serve this Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake with a sweet sparkling wine or champagne for the perfect pairing. Enjoy!
Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake! – $45
– 2 cups of fresh strawberries
– 2 tablespoons of lime juice (freshly squeezed)
– 2 tablespoons of sugar
– 1 cup of sour cream
– 1 cup of heavy cream
– 2 tablespoons of unflavored gelatin
– 1 tablespoons of water
– 1 store-bought crumb crust
– Whipped cream, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place the strawberries, sugar, and lime juice in a bowl, then mash with a potato masher.
3. Heat the mashed berries in the microwave for one minute.
4. Pour the sour cream into a large bowl, and whisk in the hot berry mixture, then let cool.
5. In a small bowl, stir the gelatin and water until it is completely dissolved.
6. In a different bowl, whip the heavy cream until it forms stiff peaks.
7. Gently fold the heavy cream and gelatin mixture into the sour cream and berry mixture.
8. Pour the mousse into the crumb crust and refrigerate for 4 hours.
9. Serve chilled, with a dollop of whipped cream for garnish.
Pair with a sweet sparkling wine or champagne!
Origins of Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake
The Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake is a delectable combination of creamy and fluffy mousse, layered with a variety of crusts such as biscuit, pound cake and sheetcake. This sweet treat has its roots in the Middle East and Europe, where it was served as a dessert. The first recorded mention of the cake was made by Lady Sarah Savage, a famed English writer and the wife of a British Army officer in 1740. She describes it as “a dish of pounded almonds, egg whites and cream with a layer of sliced strawberries on top.” It would have been a common dessert at the time, but its popularity really began to take off in the 19th century.
Rise in Popularity of Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake
During the Victorian Era, the Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake was a favorite among wealthy families who could afford the indulgence and serviced their guests with many variations of the creamy and fruity dessert. Because of its creamy texture, it has also become increasingly popular in the United States and Canada, where it has become a favorite of gourmet chefs. The cake is also popular all over the world and is enjoyed in different parts of Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
Contemporary Variations of Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake
Today, the Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake comes in many different forms. Some recipes call for additional ingredients such as chocolate, nuts, or whipped cream while others incorporate different flavors such as lemon, raspberry, and blueberry. It can be made in many different ways including individual servings, mini cups, and layer cakes. Chefs have also been known to add playful decorations such as colorful fruits, sprinkles, and crushed cookies.
Interesting Facts on Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake
One interesting fact is that the Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake is a popular choice for weddings and other special occasions. Another interesting fact is that the cake is an excellent source of Vitamin C, magnesium, and calcium, which make it a nutritious sweet treat. Finally, another interesting fact is that the Strawberry Lime Mousse Cake has been featured in multiple books and magazines over the years, illustrating its popularity through the test of time.