Gingerbread Men Extravaganza
Christmas just wouldn’t be complete without sweet, spicy gingerbread men! This recipe is sure to please, with its combination of cozy spices, rich molasses and brown sugar, all encased in a tender cookie. Decorated with bright colors, the gingerbread men become festive holiday characters all their own. A bright and tannic Cabernet Sauvignon is the perfect pairing for this treat; its bold intensity stands up to the big flavors of the gingerbread and won’t be overwhelmed by their spicy notes. Enjoy the holiday season with Gingerbread Men Extravaganza!
Gingerbread Men Extravaganza!
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-3/4 cup packed brown sugar
-1/2 cup molasses
-1 large egg
-3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-2 teaspoons baking soda
-1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-Icing, candies and other decorations as desired
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth and combined.
3. Beat in the molasses and egg.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
5. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until the dough forms.
6. Roll out the dough onto a floured surface to about ¼ inch thick and cut into desired shapes with a cookie cutter.
7. Place unbaked gingerbread shapes onto the prepared baking sheet, 1 inch apart from each other, and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
8. Allow to cool on baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Decorate with royal icing, candies, sugar sprinkles and other decorations as desired.
10. Pair with a Cabernet Sauvignon to complete the meal.
Gingerbread Men Extravaganza – A Christmas Classic
Christmas is just around the corner and what better way to celebrate than with a delicious gingerbread men extravaganza? This beloved classic is sure to please with its mixture of cozy spices, molasses and brown sugar encased in a delicate cookie. Decorated with bright, festive colors, these gingerbread men become a holiday favorite. A bold and tannic Cabernet Sauvignon is the perfect partner, it’s boldness stands up to the big flavors of the gingerbread and won’t be overwhelmed by the spices.
History of the Gingerbread Man
Gingerbread men can be traced back all the way to the 16th century in Europe. Initially developed from an imported spice from the Far East called ginger, these treats soon became a favorite among European royalty and other upper-class families. As time went on, gingerbread men made their way to the US and eventually became an iconic Christmas tradition.
Making Gingerbread Men Gluten Free
For those with gluten allergies or sensitivities, fear not! It is easy to make gingerbread men free of this common allergen. All you need to do is make a few simple substitutions and the cookies can be just as enjoyable as before. Replacing regular all-purpose flour with a gluten free version of the same and vanilla extract with almond extract are just a few examples of how to make these cookies with peace of mind.
Interesting Facts About Gingerbread Men
Not only are gingerbread men a delicious holiday treat, they have become symbols of festive seasons in many places around the world. Some traditions even have special themed gingerbread men to represent the season – such as lebkuchen from Germany or p dröm from Sweden! Additionally, there are even worldwide competitions for the best decorated gingerbread men, talk about a cookie competition!