This Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich will satisfy your comforting cravings! The crunchy, golden brown eggplant slices take center stage and are enhanced by the melted Parmesan and Mozzarella cheese. Savour the comforting flavours with a glass of dry Riesling for a rich and creamy finish. A light and delicious sandwich perfect for lunch or dinner!
Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich!
-2 slices of Italian bread
-1 eggplant, thinly sliced
-2 tablespoons tomato sauce
-1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
-1/4 cup of grated Mozzarella Cheese
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 teaspoon of garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
-Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. In a shallow dish, drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil on each side of the eggplant then sprinkle garlic powder, dried basil, salt and pepper.
3. In a pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Place the eggplant slices in the pan and cook until golden brown. Flip over and cook the other side.
4. Spread half of the tomato sauce on each Italian bread slice.
5. Place the cooked eggplant slices over one Italian bread slice and top with Parmesan cheese and the other Italian bread slice. Spread the remaining tomato sauce over the top and sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese.
6. Place the sandwich on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
7. Cut in half and serve with a glass of dry Riesling.
Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich
Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich is a delicious Italian dish popular around the world! It is a combination of thin slices of oven-baked eggplant coated in parmesan cheese and other ingredients, sandwiched between two pieces of toasted bread. Eggplant Parmesan Sandwiches are a popular lunch item and snack, and can be found in many cafes, restaurants, and delis across the world.
Making Gluten-Free Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich
For those with gluten sensitivity or Celiac Disease, this sandwich can seem hard to make. But it is totally do-able with a few simple adjustments. To make a gluten-free Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich, the obvious thing is to use a gluten-free bread or bun for your sandwich. There are plenty of different gluten-free bread options available in most stores, so you are sure to find a good one to use. Additionally, you can use gluten-free flour as a coating for the eggplant and make sure to use gluten-free seasonings and sauce in your sandwich.
Vegan Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich
The classic Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich should always be vegetarian, but for those looking for a vegan version, some adjustments will need to be made. To make a vegan version of the sandwich, you’ll need to use vegan cheese substitutes instead of regular parmesan cheese. Additionally, replacing the egg with mashed tofu instead is an excellent way to make these sandwiches vegan. You’ll also want to use vegan mayonnaise in your sandwich and make sure that all other ingredients you use, such as seasonings and sauces, are vegan-friendly.
Giving Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich Global Flair
There are plenty of ways you can take the classic Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich and give it a global twist. To give your sandwich Mediterranean flair, you can add ingredients like feta cheese, hummus, roasted red peppers, olives, cucumbers, and artichokes. If you prefer an Asian twist, you can add ingredients like teriyaki sauce, wasabi mayonnaise, daikon radishes, pickled ginger, and sesame oil.
No matter how you decide to make your Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich, it is always sure to be delicious. You can make a classic version, add a gluten-free twist, or give your sandwich some global flair.
Learn more about the Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich here and here.