Älplermagronen Gratin Recipe
Delicious and comforting, this Älplermagronen Gratin is the perfect Swiss pasta dish. With potatoes, onions, bacon and cheese all baked together, it’s simple yet flavourful. The fresh chives scattered on top provide a hint of oniony tang, whilst the melted cheese adds a delightful creaminess to the dish. Best enjoyed hot with a glass of Riesling and good friends. Bon Appétit!
Älplermagronen Gratin Recipe!
– 500g potatoes, boiled
– 250g onions, sliced
– 500g pasta, cooked
– 250g cheese, grated
– 200ml milk
– 80g butter
– 100g bacon, diced
– Salt and pepper to taste
– 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. In a large frypan over medium heat, fry the diced bacon until lightly browned and crisp, then set aside for later.
3. Grease or butter an ovenproof dish and spread the cooked potatoes in the dish.
4. Mix the cooked pasta, the sliced onions and the fried bacon with the potatoes and stir everything together.
5. Pour the milk over the mixture and season with salt and pepper.
6. Top the mixture with the grated cheese and sprinkle the chopped chives on top.
7. Dot the butter over the cheese layer.
8. Bake in the preheated oven at 200°C for 25 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
Pair with a light, fruity white wine such as a Riesling.
Älplermagronen Gratin Recipe
Älplermagronen gratin is an incredibly popular dish in Scandinavian countries such as Norway, Sweden and Finland. It is particularly popular in the Swiss-German-speaking regions of Switzerland as well as among members of the German-speaking Swiss population. The dish is traditionally prepared with potatoes, pasta, onions, bacon, cheese and milk but can easily be modified to accommodate individual tastes.
The traditional dish is prepared with equal amounts of cubed potatoes, cooked macaroni, onions, diced bacon and grated cheese. Then it is bound with cream and milk and topped with more grated cheese and bread crumbs. The mixture is then baked in the oven until it is golden brown. This traditional dish is rich, filling and very comforting.
Gluten Free Variation
People can easily adjust the recipe to accommodate a gluten free diet. Potatoes, onions, and cooked gluten free pasta may be substituted for the traditional ingredients. Gluten free flour can also be used in place of regular flour for the cream and milk mixture. Additionally, gluten free bread crumbs can be used to top off the dish.
The Älplermagronen gratin can also be easily adjusted to accommodate a vegan diet. Plant based ingredients may be substituted for the traditional ingredients that contain animal products. Soy milk or other plant-based milk can be used in place of cow’s milk. Non-dairy vegan cheese can be used to replace traditional cheese. Bread crumbs made with vegan ingredients can be used to top off the dish.