Orecchiette con Cime di Rapa Recipe
This classic Italian pasta dish is a beautiful combination of orecchiette and cime di rapa cooked in a garlic and red pepper oil and white wine. Perfectly cooked al dente orecchiette comes together with the slightly bitter and crunchy cime di rapa for a tasty and healthy meal. The addition of Pecorino cheese adds an amazing round of flavor, and the finished dish can be enjoyed with a refreshing glass of dry, fruity white wine such as Pinot Grigio. A great week-night comfort food meal!
Orecchiette con Cime di Rapa Recipe!
– 1 pound dry orecchiette
– 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
– 1 large garlic cloves, minced
– 1/2 cup dry white wine
– 1 pound cime di rapa, trimmed, rinsed and sliced crosswise
– 1/4 cup grated Pecorino
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the orecchiette and cook until al dente.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the crushed red pepper and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add the white wine and bring to a boil. Add the cooked orecchiette and cime di rapa to the pan and cook until they are heated through, about 1 minute.
4. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the Pecorino and toss to combine. Season with salt, to taste.
5. Transfer the orecchiette to serving platter and serve.
Pairing: A dry, fruity white wine such as a Pinot Grigio would pair best with this Italian pasta dish.
Orecchiette Con Cime di Rapa Recipe
Orecchiette con cime di rapa is an authentic Italian pasta dish that is extremely popular in Southern Italy. The dish combines orecchiette pasta, which are shaped like small discs, with garlicky rapini, typically from the famous region of Puglia. Parmesan cheese, garlic, anchovies, chili flakes, and extra-virgin olive oil give it a delicious flavor.
Where is the recipe popular?
Orecchiette con cime di rapa is most popular in Southern Italy. It is especially popular in the regions of Apulia and Campania as it involves locally grown ingredients from both regions. It is now popular in other regions of Italy and throughout the world.
Adjustments for a Gluten Free Diet
The recipe can easily be adjusted to suit a gluten free diet. All that is needed is to replace the traditional orecchiette pasta with gluten free pasta, such as brown rice pasta, quinoa pasta, or lentil pasta. Other ingredients, such as garlic, anchovies, Parmesan cheese, chili flakes and extra-virgin olive oil remain the same.
Adjustments for a Vegan Diet
The recipe can also be adjusted to suit a vegan diet. All that is needed is to replace the orecchiette pasta with gluten free vegan pasta and to omit the Parmesan cheese and anchovies from the recipe. Nutritional yeast, garlic, chili flakes, and extra-virgin olive oil can be used as a substitute for the Parmesan and anchovies to give the dish the same flavor and texture.
Orecchiette con cime di rapa is a delicious Italian pasta dish that has become increasingly popular around the world. Adjustments can easily be made for both gluten free and vegan diets to cater for different dietary requirements.
Pasta on Wikipedia
Rapini on Wikipedia