This homemade meatball sub sandwich is an absolute classic. The flavor packed Parmesan and basil meatballs are seared in a skillet and combined with the perfect marinara and melted mozzarella cheese atop two crunchy toasted hoagie buns. This delicious combination of ooey-gooey cheese, succulent seared meatballs and tangy marinara can make any Superbowl party that much more enjoyable. An Italian Pinot Noir pairs perfects with this dish, giving a light and subtle flavor to compliment the richness of the sandwich. Enjoy!
Mouthwatering Meatball Sub Sandwich!
– ½ cup bread crumbs
– ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
– 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil leaves
– 2 cloves of minced garlic
– 1 egg
– ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
– ½ teaspoon of salt
– ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
– 1 lb. ground beef
– 2 large hoagie buns
– 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
– 2 tablespoons of butter
– ½ cup of your favorite marinara sauce
– 8 slices of mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
2. In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, minced basil and garlic, egg, garlic powder, salt, and pepper together until the ingredients are combined.
3. Add ground beef to the bowl and mix until everything is evenly combined.
4. Form 2-inch balls from the meat mixture and place them on a baking sheet.
5. Bake the meatballs for 15 minutes.
6. Take the baking sheet out of the oven and use a spatula or tongs to transfer the meatballs onto a plate.
7. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
8. Place the hoagie buns in the skillet and toast both sides for 2 minutes.
9. Once the buns have been toasted, smear the marinara sauce on each side of the hoagie buns and place them aside to let them cool.
10. In the same skillet, place the meatballs and cover the skillet.
11. Simmer the meatballs for 8 minutes, stirring them frequently.
12. Place 4 slices of mozzarella cheese on each toasted hoagie bun and top with the cooked meatballs.
13. Place the skillet back in the oven for about 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
14. Take the skillet out of the oven and serve your mouthwatering meatball sub sandwich!
Pair with: Italian Pinot Noir
Easy Preparation and Rich Flavor
This mouthwatering Meatball Sub Sandwich is one of the most delicious and classic recipes around. The Parmesan and basil meatballs are seared in a skillet paired with the perfect marinara and melted mozzarella cheese all atop two crunchy toasted hoagie buns. It’s a combination of ooey-gooey cheese, succulent seared meatballs, and tangy marinara that make this sandwich so irresistible. Best of all, this sandwich is easy to make and perfect for any Superbowl party.
Why People Love This Sandwich
People love this dish for its rich and savory flavor. The contrast between the smokiness of the Parmesan and basil meatballs and the creaminess of the melted mozzarella cheese is mouthwatering. The tangy marinara is the perfect way to bring all of the flavors together and make the sandwich a perfectly balanced late-night snack. And of course, the addition of a crisp Italian Pinot Noir enhances the flavor of the sandwich and makes it all the more enjoyable.
Making This Sandwich Gluten-Free
Making this Meatball Sub Sandwich gluten-free is very easy–simply switch out the two hoagie buns for either two gluten-free rolls or two slices of gluten-free bread. You can also opt for using a gluten-free marinara sauce for the topping. With so many tasty gluten-free options available nowadays, you won’t be sacrificing any flavor.
Creating a Delicious Vegan Option
For those who want a vegan version, you can still enjoy all the flavor of this sandwich with a few easy adjustments. Replace the meatballs with vegan veggie “meatballs”, use vegan mozzarella cheese and vegan Parmesan cheese, and use a vegan marinara sauce. With these simple substitutions, vegans can still have all the same delicious flavors as the classic version.
A Delicious Classic
This Meatball Sub Sandwich is an absolute classic with its flavor-packed meatballs and ooey-gooey cheese. While it’s the perfect addition to any Superbowl party, it’s also the ideal late night snack that won’t let you down. Making it either gluten-free or vegan is very easy, so no one has to miss out on this delicious dish. For a perfect accompaniment, try a light and subtle Italian Pinot Noir and enjoy every bite!
If you like this sandwich recipe, check out this Fireside Grilled Alabama White Chicken Sandwich or this delicious Grilled Fish Sandwich with Beer-Battered Cod and Horseradish Tartar Sauce. You can also check out the full Sandwich Archive!