A breakfast sandwich south of the border never tasted so good – the grilled Huevos Rancheros sandwich is a savory hit of flavor in every bite!
Grilled Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich!
– 2 slices of thick cut, rustic artisan bread
– 2 large eggs (sunny side up)
– 1/2 cup of chorizo sausage
– 2 tablespoons of cream cheese
– 2 tablespoons of homemade salsa
– 1/2 cup of chopped tomatoes
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped cilantro
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat.
2. Add olive oil to the skillet and let it heat for a few seconds.
3. Add the chorizo sausage to the skillet and break it up with a wooden spoon.
4. Cook for about 3 minutes until the chorizo is brown and crispy.
5. Remove the chorizo from the skillet and place it on a plate.
6. Add the eggs to the same skillet and season with salt and pepper.
7. Cook the eggs for 3 minutes until the yolks are still runny.
8. Heat a separate skillet on medium-high heat.
9. Place one slice of bread in the skillet and toast until golden brown.
10. Spread cream cheese on the toasted bread.
11. Top with chorizo, eggs, tomatoes, salsa, and cilantro.
12. Close with the second slice of bread and press down with a spatula.
13. Flip the sandwich and toast until golden brown.
14. Slice the sandwich in half and serve.
Pairing: A glass of medium-bodied, spicy Merlot.
Take your tastebuds south of the border for a delicious and savory breakfast with this Grilled Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich! A thick cut, rustic artisan bread is toasted to a golden brown then piled high with a spicy chorizo, cream cheese, and a runny egg all topped with plenty of tomatoes, salsa, cilantro, and salt and pepper for just the right amount of kick. Enjoy with a glass of medium-bodied, spicy Merlot.
Grilled Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich
A breakfast sandwich south of the border never tasted so good – the grilled Huevos Rancheros sandwich is a savory hit of flavor in every bite! This traditional Mexican breakfast, featuring refried beans, an egg and melty cheese, is highly appealing for many who seek bold and delicious flavors in the morning.
Why People Love It
The ingredients in the Grilled Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich come together perfectly, with each flavor adding to the whole. The satisfying crunch of the toasted bread pairs perfectly with the creamy beans, the salty cheese and the egg – artfully pulled together by the slight spice of your preferred brand of salsa. The mix of flavors found in the Grilled Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich is unlike any other and is why this dish has been so popular over the years.
Going Gluten Free
Those looking to make a Gluten-Free version of the Grilled Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich have plenty of good alternatives. Gluten-Free breads, tortillas, or even shredded lettuce cups can substitute the traditional white bread, while sautéed veggie slices can be used instead of the customary flour tortillas found in the sandwich. Additionally, some people prefer to use scrambled eggs instead of fried eggs, if gluten allergies are of concern.
For those who are vegan or just looking to increase their daily veggie intake, there are plenty of options for creating a vegan version of the Grilled Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich. Some substitutes for the egg include vegan-friendly breakfast patties, scrambled tofu or a combination of vegetable slices. Additionally, vegan cheese slices or vegan cheese sauce can be used in lieu of regular cheese, and refried beans can be made vegan-friendly by omitting lard or butter.
With a few simple tweaks, the Grilled Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich can accommodate the diets of most people. What makes this sandwich such a hit is the convenient portability and the powerful flavor combination which packs a punch with every savory bite.
If you like this sandwich recipe, check out this Grilled Fish Sandwich with Beer-Battered Cod and Horseradish Tartar Sauce or this delicious Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich. You can also check out the full Sandwich Archive!