If you’re looking for a delicious and easy to make Mexican dish that will please your taste buds, then you need to try the Torta Ahogado Recipe! This traditional Mexican sandwich is made with a telera roll, carnitas (pork), refried beans, onions, cilantro, lime juice, tomato sauce, mayonnaise, sour cream, and garlic. The flavors of the carnitas, onions, and cilantro are perfectly balanced with the acidity of the lime and the creamy garlic sauce. The tomato sauce gives the torta a delicious kick, while the Negra Modelo beer is the perfect accompaniment. You won’t regret trying this amazing dish!
Torta Ahogado Recipe!
– 1 telera roll
– 1/4 lb carnitas (pork)
– 1/4 cup refried beans
– 2 tbsp chopped onions
– 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
– 1 lime
– 1/2 cup tomato sauce (enchilada sauce is also a great option)
– 1/4 cup mayonnaise
– 1/4 cup sour cream
– 1 garlic clove, minced
– Vegetable oil
1. Cut the telera roll in half and spread refried beans on both sides.
2. Add the carnitas on one side of the telera roll.
3. Sprinkle chopped onions and cilantro on top of the carnitas.
4. Squeeze lime juice on top of the onions and cilantro.
5. Close the telera roll and set aside.
6. In a small pan heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
7. Once the oil is hot, add the tomato sauce and a pinch of salt.
8. Bring to a boil while stirring and then reduce the heat to low.
9. Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes until it thickens slightly.
10. Pour the sauce over the torta and let it soak for a few seconds.
11. In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, minced garlic, and salt to taste.
12. Spread the garlic sauce on top of the torta.
13. Serve and enjoy with a cold Negra Modelo beer!
Torta Ahogado Recipe: The Perfect Combination of Mexican Flavors
The Torta Ahogado is a popular Mexican sandwich that has all the right elements of a great dish – the perfect combination of savory and salty pork, creamy refried beans, and a tangy, spicy tomato sauce. It’s a popular street food in Mexico, but it’s also becoming increasingly popular in the United States, particularly in places with large Mexican populations. There’s no doubt that this delicious sandwich is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
Why People Love the Torta Ahogado Recipe
People love the Torta Ahogado for its simplicity, its portability, and for the delicious combination of flavors. The pork is cooked to perfection, the refried beans and the tomato sauce add a nice combination of creaminess and spice, and the garlic sauce adds a hint of garlic that ties it all together. It’s also a great way to pack a lot of flavor into a relatively short amount of time. And it can easily be adjusted to suit dietary restrictions – it can be vegan, gluten-free, or vegetarian depending on what ingredients are used.
Ways to Make the Torta Ahogado Recipe Gluten-Free
Making the Torta Ahogado gluten-free is easy – just use a gluten-free version of the telera roll and make sure all the other ingredients are also gluten-free. The pork can still be the same, and the refried beans and tomato sauce can be found in gluten-free versions. The garlic sauce is usually already gluten-free, but it can’t hurt to double-check the label.
Ways to Make the Torta Ahogado Recipe Vegan
Making the Torta Ahogado vegan is even easier – simply replace the pork with a plant-based alternative such as tofu, tempeh, or seitan. The refried beans and tomato sauce can be found in vegan versions, and the garlic sauce is usually already vegan (but make sure to check the label). You can also add some extra vegetables of your choice to make it even more filling and nutritious.
The Torta Ahogado is a delicious Mexican sandwich that is beloved by many. It’s a great way to pack a lot of flavor into a relatively short amount of time, and it’s easy to make gluten-free or vegan as well. So if you’re looking for an easy, delicious meal that will please everyone in the family, give the Torta Ahogado a try – you won’t be disappointed!
If you like this sandwich recipe, check out this Golden Waffle Steak and Egg Sandwich or this delicious Fireside Grilled Alabama White Chicken Sandwich. You can also check out the full Sandwich Archive!