A traditional Mexican recipe originating from the city of Puebla, Cemitas Poblanas is a delicious and flavorful sandwich typically made with a sesame seed bun, shredded chicken, Oaxaca cheese, chipotle chilis, refried beans, avocado and onions. This tasty sandwich packs a flavorful punch and is perfect for summertime gatherings. Serve with a lager or margarita to complete the experience!
Cemitas Poblanas Recipe!:
• 2 of the traditional Sesame seed buns
• 1-2 tsp of White vinegar
• ¼ of an Onion, finely chopped
• Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
• 4 oz of cooked, shredded Chicken
• 4-8 slices of Oaxaca cheese
• 2 slices of Avocado
• 2 each Chipotle Chilis, minced
• 2-4 Tbsp of Refried beans
• Sprigs of Cilantro
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lay both buns on a baking tray and lightly toast for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
2. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, onion, salt, and pepper. Toss gently until ingredients are evenly distributed. Allow to marinate for 5 minutes.
3. Place the chicken in a medium bowl, and add the marinated onion mixture. Press down lightly to combine, and set aside.
4. Heat a non-stick skillet to medium heat, and add the Oaxaca cheese slices. Gently press down the slices, and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Then flip, and cook until both sides are golden brown. Place on a plate or dish.
5. Add the avocado slices, chipotle chilis, and refried beans to the cheese. Gently distribute ingredients evenly.
6. Add the chicken mixture to the skillet, and cook until chicken is fully cooked, about 8 minutes.
7. Assemble the sandwich by adding the chicken to the buns and topping with the cilantro.
8. Enjoy with a lager or margarita to complement the flavors!
What is Cemitas Poblanas?
Cemitas Poblanas is a traditional Mexican recipe originating from the city of Puebla. This tasty sandwich is composed of a soft sesame seed bun that houses shredded chicken, Oaxaca cheese, chipotle chilis, refried beans, avocado and onions. With the combination of flavor packed ingredients and sesame seed bun, this sandwich is full of flavor and perfect for summertime gatherings. Serve with a lager or margarita to complete the Mexican experience.
Why People Love Cemitas Poblanas
Cemitas Poblanas has become a popular dish due to its flavorful combination of ingredients. The sesame seed bun is the most prominent feature of the sandwich, adding an element of crunch and flavor with its toasted and hearty texture. Alongside the bun is succulent shredded chicken, Oaxaca cheese for creaminess, chipotle chillis for a little kick of heat, the refreshing crunch of red onions, and the creaminess of refried beans and avocado. All of these ingredients are then brought together in each bite, making it a flavor explosion packed with traditional Mexican flavors and textures.
Gluten-Free Alternative to Cemitas Poblanas
For those individuals who have a gluten sensitivity, there are several easy ways to adapt the traditional recipe to make it suitable for those intolerant to gluten. Replacing the sesame seed bun with a gluten-free option such as a rice flour bun or a corn tortilla is one way to make the sandwich approved for gluten-free diets. Using a lettuce wrap is also a popular alternative, as it still provides a crunchy element similar to that of the sesame seed bun. When using a gluten-free bun, it is important to strengthen the flavor of the sandwich by increasing other ingredients such as the chipotle chillis, Oaxaca cheese, and avocado, to ensure the sandwich packs a punch of flavor.
Vegan Alternative to Cemitas Poblanas
To make the Cemitas Poblanas suitable for vegans, there are several modifications that need to be made to the traditional recipe. The most notable ingredient that needs to be replaced is the shredded chicken, which can be substituted with a vegan-friendly substance such as vegan ground beef, tempeh, or crumbled tofu. These substitutions still provide the sandwich with its traditional flavors and textures. Additionally, ensuring that all of the other ingredients, including the bun, cheese, avocado and onions, remain vegan is paramount for this adaptation. Using a vegan cheese such as a plant-based cheese is a great way to keep the sandwich vegan without sacrificing any flavor.
Overall, there are several tasty ways to make Cemitas Poblanas accessible to those with dietary restrictions. If a gluten-free or vegan option is desired, there are several easy adaptations that can be made to the traditional recipe to ensure that all of the flavors are still retained.
If you like this sandwich recipe, check out this Grilled Jamón Ibérico Bocadillo Recipe or this delicious Grilled Mollete con Chorizo y Salsa Tricolor Sandwich. You can also check out the full Sandwich Archive!