This classic Uruguayan sandwich is mouthwatering. Loaded with thinly sliced beefsteak, processed pork, Muenster and Gouda cheese, fresh tomato slices, pickled cucumbers, a fried egg, bacon and mayonnaise, the Chivito is an all in one tasty super sandwich. A nice cold lager from Uruguay, such as Cafe’ Pilsen, is the perfect pair to this delicious delight!
Chivito: The Uruguayan Classic Sandwich!
-1 slice of Uruguayan or Italian bread
-Approximately 2 or 3 pieces of thinly sliced beefsteak
-2 slices of Muenster or Gouda cheese
-2 slices of processed ham
-1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
-1/2 a tomato, sliced
-2 slices of bacon
-2 slices of pickled cucumber
-1/4 of an onion, diced
-Salt and pepper to taste
-2 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
2. Put the sliced beefsteak in the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until preferred doneness.
3. In a small bowl mix the diced onion with a pinch of salt and let it sit for 5 minutes.
4. Heat a separate pan over medium heat and add tablespoon of olive oil.
5. Put the bacon in the pan and cook until lightly browned.
6. Place the slices of bread in the pan and lightly toast.
7. Fry an egg sunny side up or over easy.
8. Place the slices of bread on the side.
9. Arrange the slices of cheese, pork, beefsteak, fried egg, bacon, tomato slices, pickled cucumbers, mayonnaise and the onion mixture on top.
10. Serve hot with a nice cup of Cafe’ Pilsen, a light lager beer from Uruguay.
What is Chivito?
Chivito is a classic Uruguayan sandwich that’s filled with steak, processed pork, Muenster and Gouda cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, bacon, fried egg, and mayonnaise. It’s a tasty all-in-one super sandwich. A nice cold lager from Uruguay, such as Café Pilsen, is normally served alongside this delicious delight. It is beloved by many and comes in various adaptations.
Why Do People Love Chivito?
Chivito is a truly unique sandwich that is rich in flavor and has a unique mix of ingredients. It is the perfect combination of crunchy and juicy textures and provides a ton of flavor. Furthermore, the bacon adds a delightful crispiness to the sandwich that people really enjoy. Moreover, the soft, delicate flavor of the meat takes it to the next level. Everything from the steak to the fried egg and tomato slices work together to create a truly succulent meal.
Adjusting the Chivito to be Gluten-Free
Those that are gluten-intolerant can still enjoy a Chivito sandwich, albeit in a different form. To make it gluten-free, it is important to swap out the regular sandwich roll or buns for gluten-free substitutes. Additionally, be sure to use gluten-free mayonnaise and check the labels of any processed pork and processed cheese.
Adjusting the Chivito to be Vegan
Vegans can also enjoy a delicious Chivito sandwich with some tweaks. To make it vegan, the first step is to replace the steak and processed pork with a vegetable-based protein, such as tempeh or seitan. For the mayonnaise, use a vegan-friendly option with no eggs. Finally, swap out the Muenster and Gouda cheese for a vegan cheese to make it totally vegan-friendly.
The Chivito is a classic Uruguayan sandwich that is filled with steak, processed pork, cheese, egg, bacon, and mayonnaise. It’s a delicious super sandwich that is beloved by many. For those who don’t eat regular versions of the Chivito, there are also options to make it gluten-free or vegan-friendly. No matter what version someone chooses, Chivito is sure to be a hit of delight!