These delicious citrusy donuts combine two classic flavors – zesty lemon and sweet orange – in every bite. The pillowy, rich brioche donuts get their flavor and fragrances from freshly grated lemon and orange zests. After they’ve been deep-fried to golden perfection, the donuts are glazed with the orange juice and sugar mixture and topped with candied lemon zest and icing sugar. Enjoy this dessert with an off-dry Riesling for a truly memorable experience!
Lemon & Orange Glazed Brioche Donuts!
– 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
– 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
– 6 tablespoons butter, melted
– 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons lukewarm water
– 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
– 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
– Vegetable oil for deep-frying
– 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
– 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
– Candied lemon zest for topping
– Icing sugar for dusting
1. In a large bowl mix together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, lukewarm water and zests.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, then mix with a wooden spoon until combined and a soft dough forms. Knead the dough with your hands for 2 minutes, then place in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm place for 2 hours.
4. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is 1/2 inch thick. Cut out the donut shapes using a biscuit or donut cutter.
5. Heat oil in a large deep pot to 375°F. Prepare a tray filled with kitchen paper for the finished donuts. Fry the donuts for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. When cooked, transfer the donuts onto the tray to cool.
6. When the donuts have cooled, prepare your glaze in a small bowl by mixing the orange juice and sugar together. Dip the donuts in the glaze and place back onto the tray.
7. Sprinkle the donuts with candied lemon zest and icing sugar, and enjoy!
Pair with: An off-dry Riesling
The Perfect Balance of Zesty and Sweet: Lemon & Orange Glazed Brioche Donuts
Lemon & Orange Glazed Brioche Donuts are a scrumptious blend of tart zest and sweet orange zest, packed into a soft and fluffy donut. Freshly grated lemon and orange zests are mixed into the dough, giving it a punch of flavour and aromatic fragrance. After they’re deep-fried to golden perfection, it’s then glazed with a sweet orange juice and sugar concoction and topped with candied lemon zest and icing sugar.
Why People Love Lemon & Orange Glazed Brioche Donuts
This delightful pastry brings together two of the most popular citrus flavours – lemon and orange – in one delectable treat. With each bite, people can experience the perfect harmony of tart and sweet goodness. Plus, when paired with an off-dry Riesling, people can savour an even more unique flavour experience.
Gluten-Free Alternatives for Lemon & Orange Glazed Brioche Donuts
For those who can’t consume gluten, many adjustments have been made to the original recipe so that people can still indulge in this special dessert. Instead of traditional all-purpose flour, gluten-free flours such as tapioca, coconut, or almond flour can be used. It’s also important to make sure the other ingredients are gluten-free such as freshly grated lemon and orange zest, orange juice, sugar, eggs, and oil.
Vegan Options for Lemon & Orange Glazed Brioche Donuts
Eggs, butter, and dairy are swapped for vegan-friendly options to make the donuts vegan-friendly. Instead of eggs, aquafaba, flaxseed, and chia seed are used as binding agents. Coconut oil, vegan margarine, vegetable oil, and nut butter can be used to replace the butter. And instead of dairy, almond, soy, and coconut milk can be used. There is also the option of adding vegan cream cheese to the filling.